I feel like I’ve been burning the candle at both ends for a good month or more. March and April were consumed with horse shows and May is going to be full of house cleaning, yard work, graduation party prep and finishing as much school as possible.
I haven’t forgotten the pictures of Kristen’s show vest, but Regionals didn’t go as well as we had hoped. In fact, it was a disaster. I’ll get pictures of her in the vest when she does another open show this summer. And I have this strange feeling I haven’t shared pictures from the first open show she did. She placed 3rd in a walk/trot pleasure class on one of the horses boarded at the barn we ride at. Oh, we had fun! Those pictures are mostly on my phone – and I’m behind the times with learning to get pics off the phone and onto the computer.
I do have some crafty projects that I’m working on: a fun-filled Tuesday that took me down town to the big city netted three project chairs and a bar stool. One chair I definitely need help with – it has a pink rubber cord seat. I loved the back of the chair, so I grabbed it anyway. Hey, $5 for all 4 of them~~
Earlier this spring I scored a small hutch on craigslist for the dining/school room for $25. It EXACTLY matched the dresser that Kristen got from my Grandma’s house. However – it was not right for my uses. So, a little primer and a little paint – and it’s still in progress.
Now, I’m in the middle of the process with 3 drawers completed, 2 started and the top piece primed:
The color on the finished drawers is a matte finish Rustoleum spray paint in Burlap. I love it even more on the drawers than I did the can top! I used 3 coats of a gloss finish protector and it looks great. It was after I primed the hutch top in the basement that I realized my paints had to move out to the garage – what a terrible smell!
In the middle of the above project I felt the need to do something that I could finish in a day. So . . . . I bought a steel pizza pan at Dollar Tree and spray painted it fire engine red! I’ve had a set of really cute sewing/crafting magnets stuck to extra curtain rods in the corner of my sewing room FOREVER! Well, when I finally (a dozen years after buying the fabric) made our dining room curtains a couple of weeks ago (in the middle of a school room make over too), the magnets had no home. Now they have a very cute home.
I super glued magnets to the wall of my sewing room (that wall will be knocked out anyway when we put in the stairs to the bonus room – poor sewing room will get moved again) and just slapped the pizza pan/magnet board up there. Above it are two Valentine’s candy boxes my friend Penny gave me. You know you’re good friends when you can pass on half eaten boxes of Valentine’s Day candy!!!
I also really love Snoopy! Those are attached with two small nails through the bottom part of the box and just slip the top back on. All of that red is a nice contrast to the black and white in the rest of the little sewing nook.
The other project I have under foot is bar stools for the kitchen – bumble bees of course.
I picked up this red number on my chair score day.
I had to fix a crack in the top, but wood glue is amazing stuff! Oh, look, there are the drawers for the hutch.
And here is the bar stool along with a special little number I got from my mother-in-law a week or so ago when we made a quick trip to Michigan to see my father-in-law who had been in the hospital. The companion stool was the base to Joel’s high chair!
I filled the holes in the top of the stool with wood putty, primed (actually I primed first and then played with the wood putty). I’ll sand it and give the top another quick coat of primer and then they’ll be painted black on top and the vertical legs, and yellow on the horizontal bars. When that is all dry, Kristen will free hand a big bumble bee on each seat!
I wish I could say all of these projects have been on the cheap, but by the time I’ve gotten done buying primer and paint and gloss spray, well, I still came in cheaper than custom done furniture pieces and the satisfaction of having done it myself is off course, priceless.
And would you believe, I have more projects on the simmer? My mother-in-law gave me two solid oak end tables that we have sitting back-to-back in the living room to see if we like them as a double-deck coffee table (if not, we’ll put them under the window as a, ..well, ..table). Anyway, they need refinishing, but I’m not sure if it will be stain or paint. My MIL nearly died when I said I might paint them! AND we stopped at Menard’s on the way home from MI for chicken wire for the garden (that ended up going back because once the original fence was pulled out from under all of the compost Kristen piled on it and stood upright, it actually kept the chickens out of the garden – go figure)and while we were wandering around I found the EXACT color for my kitchen cabinets. It will require stripping them, but then I’ll redo in a water-based stain from Minwax in onyx. Done on oak it looks like a weathered gray – very farmhousey. Which is kind of funny since my farm house is a colonial style on the outside with an open modern floor plan. But anyway – I bought some stripper and I’m going to try it out on our bathroom cabinet which is the same as the kitchen cabinets (and I have hated both for the entire 15 years since we built the house, but I won’t go there). If I don’t like the result, I’ll paint the bathroom cabinet and if I love it as much as I think I will – I’ll get new kitchen cabinets for the price of stripper, stain and a whole lot of labor!!! I’m so excited to be creating and doing that I hardly want to do school – oh, yeah, that’s normal for me!!!
I think I’ll take a nap now –
You’d think it was Lexi doing all of the work around here!
And That’s What’s Happening on the Hobby Farm!