Life has continued at a breakneck pace here at the Happy Palace. I’ll update with photos which include a new winner from the Queen of DIY as well as DIMS from me; the garden and the kittens!
First, the DIY Queen.
We gave a baby shower for two couples that were in our old Life Group. It was great. Such a wonderful peace in our house afterwards. I miss Life Group. So, the next day one of the couples asked Kristen if she would make their crib and changing table. Oh.My.Gosh! What an honor. What a challenge. One week later, the DIYQ had the crib done.
We delivered it the next Sunday (6/26) Here’s Kristen with the eager Mom-to-Be. The crib fits their baseball nursery to a T. They treated us to lunch ( forgot to load the picture). On Tuesday I picked up Kristen from the barn, she opened her phone to a Facebook update and Baby Troy had been born! Phew! Crib just in time. The changing table is still under construction. It will be the prototype of all future changing table/dressers, and our dear friends will have it forever. We can’t wait to visit them this Sunday and see that new baby!
I’ve been working on learning to make a box lining. I failed miserable making a lining for a crate that Kristen made for her friend (who did all of the sanding on my island!) I had success making interior liners for two boxes. The first box started this way – yes, we’ve bought our share of store beef hamburger patties; I’m ashamed.
But the box ended up looking like this:
I’m a sucker for old-fashioned floral prints and have quite a stash of them just waiting for me to use them. Maybe someday I’ll make a quilt with lots of old-fashioned floral squares.
My second box started out like this:
Yep, good ole Milk-Bones. I’ve been promising the dogs to make homemade peanut butter treats, but they are suffering for my lack of time like everything else! This box became this:
I’m really happy with the way it turned out. It holds all of my 8×11 cardstock and my shape cutter. I’m thrilled.
I used this tutorial for the outside of the boxes: here
And this tutorial for the inside liner: here
I looked at a LOT of tutorials and I messed up plenty of times. I have LOTS of boxes in my stash, so I’ll be using these tutorials until I have them memorized. Measure once, twice, thrice, quatros; then, MAYBE make the cut.
On a more successful note, my garden is looking great this year. The straw has made an amazing difference in the weed level. It’s so nice to look out and seed the garden growing instead of three years worth of weed seeds sprouting.
And the last little update is our little kittens!
The best I can do: Back two faces are Zoe and Boston; Middle three are Tonya, Matt’s Cat (going to a friend of Kristen’s), Tammy Rose (who may be a Tommy); front kitty is Pepper Pott. They are the most adorable little fuzz balls. Tammy/Tommy talks and talks. You can hear it meowing upstairs and you’d swear something was trying to eat it. The minute the kitten is in your hands, it’s as quiet as can be. If money were no object, I’d keep all 6 of them. But it is. And I’m not.
On top of all of these wonderful things, it’s Camp Meeting at church this weekend and the girls are both volunteering. Joel’s spending time with his Mom, brother and cousin, and Kurt and I are hanging out together. I’m going to try to start painting my kitchen island – and maybe I’ll make another covered box, too. Daytona Saturday Night under the Lights!
And That’s What’s Happening on the Hobby Farm.