And Now for the Rest of the Week

We got our heat back on Wednesday.  It was a very cold day and Kristen couldn’t feel her feet most of the day.  Just as we were leaving for church at 5pm the mail finally came with the new thermostat.  We had to get Kristen to band practice so we couldn’t even go back and install it!  We came home to a cold house – but it worked and our heat came on and we left it at 74 all night and all day Thursday – as the weather warmed up.  I have since discovered that the LP is not working and we are getting all of our heat through the heat pump.  Lord, help my electric bill!!!!

Now that the heat is back on our dog, Lexi, is freaking out.  She pants and shakes and hides in the bathroom – or better yet, the laundry room.  She had us scared silly and I actually took her to the vet (not a wasted trip since the dogs needed their heartworm shots anyway).  Physically she’s fine and the vet sincerely doubted he would find anything if he did blood work.  He gave us 3 days of anxiety medicine for her which hasn’t done anything either than give her big chunks of yummy peanut butter.  I moved the dog crates in the basement, but she still “walked” her crated during the night.  Poor baby.  Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Also on Thursday, my daughter Karra was offered a real “grown up” job (that does not entail wearing an apron).  I won’t say where for privacy reasons, but it’s a BIG deal.  Benefits, retirement, tuition reimbursement and almost $4 an hour more than she’s making slicing cheese and making sandwiches.  Weekdays only, professional attire and it will give her great connections in her future career.  We are so proud of her!!!!!!!!  Our friend, Penny, insisted that we all go out to celebrate Friday night (after I had spent all day doing the grocery shopping – 8 different stops – and sat at the barn for Kristen’s riding lesson in the cold.  Did I mention, cold?  I finally agreed to go and we met at the Cheesecake Factory for a celebratory dinner.  With cake and balloons:

Karra's Big Girl Job party cake!
Karra’s Big Girl Job party cake!

Then Penny and her friend took Karra and Kurt to see Star Wars on the IMAX screen.  Kristen and I got home from dinner at midnight.  It was after 2am when the movie goers drug in.  It was a fun night and I’m so glad that I went.  We don’t celebrate enough in this family and I know that Joel would have said, “Go, have fun!”  So, we did!

On Saturday the big sewing room move began.  Remember a year ago when I did the big clean and remodel in my sewing room, and it looked like this?



And I was so happy and excited to get started working in a clean and tidy environment.

Well . . . . . .  one year later my adorable, made-over sewing looked like this:




So, Kristen and I worked and put up shelves in the basement so the move could begin.

Before we got started, we gutted the area


And then we put up the shelves – after some warm discussions about how things should be leveled.  She claims I’ve never worked with Dad.  Well, let me tell ya; I quit helping Joel do remodeling after I couldn’t hold a piece of drywall over my head while he balanced it on the top of the door to screw it into the ceiling!  The chair he was standing on broke, he fell, the drywall fell and I QUIT!

The shelves made it up. (On the right)


And then the moving began and the mess in the sewing room moved to the basement.





 It was hard to believe that I had all of that stuff in a tiny 4×9 room.

See the cute, fuzzy, black and white 4-footer?  That’s my Luke!!  See the back of the cute, not fuzzy, pajama clad 2-footer?  That’s my Kurt!!

Don’t anybody panic – these are not the final pictures.  We still have construction to do on the room – lattice on the back of the shelves, bead board on the ceiling and some sort of rug on the floor.  I gained 108 square feet!  It’s big enough for Kristen and I to work together.  I’m thinking I want to hang a peg board where the curtain is to give us some hanging space.  I’m planning to paint a section of the wall with magnet paint.  I’m not certain how we’ll attach things to the cement block walls, so my happy wall decor has to stay in the old room for a little while.  I’m hoping to show you the organized pictures later this week.

And That’s What’s Happening on the Hobby Farm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s