I got this recipe from Quick Cooking magazine, Collector’s Edition 2000 (13) (I have two collector’s editions). Anyway, I made it last night & Joel loved it.
Baked Beef Stew
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbls. quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 lbs. lean beef stew meat cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered (I didn’t peel them and I used 1 sweet potato)
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 slice bread, cubed
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, tapioca, sugar, salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375 for 1 3/4 to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve in bowls.